When Work is Life

When Work is Life

Lifestyle | Posted by YouInc.com - October 8, 2013 at 12:30 pm
3241

I have spent my life with entrepreneurs. My dad, who started his own business later in life, was the first person I observed going through what it means to be an entrepreneur. I saw the countless hours he spent, the commitment to getting it done, the ups and downs. I saw him retire young only to keep working because he didn’t know how not to. As he struggled with cancer, I witnessed his desire to make sure he left behind a record so that others could learn from his unique experiences. He taught me what it means to be a true entrepreneur. It means sharing with others, helping them by telling your own stories, being unafraid to learn and make mistakes. It’s also about dealing with issues head on and doing whatever it takes to be truly independent.

I realized then that being an entrepreneur was a lifestyle choice. It’s a decision that, to a certain extent, emerges directly from who we are and how we think. Once we recognize this calling, we should embrace it wholeheartedly - for it’s a path that allows us to become unique and meaningful contributors to our economy and society. Further, it’s a path that can positively impact not only your own life but the lives and well-being of many others.

Later, when I became an entrepreneur myself, I realized again that what I had become was really just an extension of who I already was. I wanted to be in control of my life and to live it fully. I had been raised to believe that the enjoyment of work could actually be something that was a direct expression of who I was at the deepest level. I learned that while the highs were higher and the lows lower than I could have ever dreamed, I just simply couldn’t imagine not going along for the ride.

This is what it means to be an entrepreneur. It means going all in. It means not worrying about balance but instead ensuring that you are living each moment to its fullest. When Work is Life is exactly how it felt to me.

Creating YouInc made good sense to me. Dragon’s Den certainly gave me the platform to meet and work with countless entrepreneurs. And my business, Venture Communications, has been helping companies grow for decades. I know what it means to be an entrepreneur. And I saw there was no place online that really spoke in the voice of an entrepreneur, or that truly understood that this was a lifestyle choice - one that could lead to great success, personally and professionally.

This community is about just that. YouInc is alive with content and insights, offering countless opportunities to collaborate, share and learn from like-minded men and women. YouInc is a one-stop destination for support, information and entertainment - a place where you won’t be made to feel you somehow are broken because you aren’t “balanced.”

I hope you find a home for yourself in this community - and that you share your stories of triumph and adversity, of growing and failing. Connecting with one another, and telling our stories, is invaluable - and a form of enlightened self-interest. In other words, the more you give back to your fellow entrepreneurs, the more you’ll benefit. And I know you’ll find immense value for your businesses on YouInc. In fact, we’ve designed the site to be a responsive experience, offering up valuable stories and rewards tailored to the journey you’re on. And while it can be very lonely at the top, you’re not alone. By taking the time to be open and honest with each other, we will all benefit - and this is the true measure of success: helping others help themselves.

I am proud to have created YouInc, a place for content and community - and I’m grateful, on this day, to be able to open the gates. YouInc belongs to all entrepreneurs who understand and embrace this wonderful, crazy and all-encompassing lifestyle.

Tags: arlene dickinson, benefit, collaboration, community, content, dragons den, economy, entrepreneur, experience, lifestyle, society, youinc, blog

Comments
Dragan Cvijan
October 3, 2013 at 11:16 am
Just a beauty & brilliance. It takes a dougther to love and respect Dad. To Dad doughter is allwys at birth,at first step, and frst word with smile; up to his last look at doughter. Arlene is lady of brilliance & beauty honored & loved friend.
Bill Martin
October 4, 2013 at 11:59 pm
Bill Martin
October 5, 2013 at 12:37 am
Hi Arlene,
First thanks for putting YouInc together cause it has made me a little more sane to know that I'm not crazy for doing what ever is necessary to bring my thoughts and ideas to those who need it. It was 3 in the morning when you first spoke to me through a series of videos for Scotiabank, that you literally changed everything, when you were speaking and talking about what it takes to be an entrepreneur and the challenges I will like be facing, I'm sitting in my office and thinking you are bang on girl, I was feeling it all, lonely, always chasing money, trying to stay ahead of my staff, my customers all the while trying to do what I felt was right and made a decision to believe in myself.

We think very much a like, what your plan is with YouInc it's point of existence is why I do what I do but slightly on a different stage (Health & Safety) but no matter the business type we are trying to pull people together.

Well I'm excited to tell you this cause, I've been busting at the seams waiting for my membership to be approved, I spend a lot of time online as part of my business, I have been to countless websites and not once has anyone ever approached me and say "hey is there something I can help you with" ya I know say WHAT, ok here it is!

I'm just about to launch a 3D web world were you can walk down the street and enter a business office, retail space, visit the convention Hall or the network lounge, drop into our learning centre take in a lecture, go to class, see in a 2d website you never see anyone you can see stats etc etc, how about that YouInc has a virtual office where we can see each other, collaborate and mingle to gain friendship and network one one, personalize who we are we are not just images of our profile.

I truely believe in what your doing and I want to give back to the YouInc community, and offer to you and your staff my virtual world to stir your entrepreneur minds into over drive, just thing of the possibilities, I know my mind races everyday to absorb the many way it can be applied. So, if you want to kick up YouInc to another level please let me know and I would like to help others, who help themselves, any day of the week witl help anyone who needs a hand up. So, if anyone who would like to know more, drop me a line and we can send you some info. This is very affordable! I mentioned, we are not 100% ready but all that needs to be in place is ready, hey how about your own news channel, you own YouInc Avenue. If you got this far thanks for reading, and in the real world let us know when your back in Calgary, your fast becoming my secret mentor. Lastly I'm so glad to have your words of encouragement, and advice to help my life make sense, many thanks!!!
Dragan Cvijan
October 6, 2013 at 3:11 pm
Arlene, how do I know if winner of prize? Are the prizes draws or asigned according to? Can I be winner of more prizes the same week? Are prizes as must be won weekly? To me prize is an incentive regardless of market price.
Toby's Tree Service
December 10, 2013 at 3:37 am
Just awesome.
Featured Members
Randy A Eckert
Saferway Driver Training School…
Deborah Darling
The Presentation Pros Inc.
See All   ► Recent Activity Recent Activity