Arlene's Do's And Don'ts For Job Interviews

Arlene's Do's And Don'ts For Job Interviews

Lifestyle | Posted by YouInc.com - March 10, 2017 at 12:30 am
1611
  • DO ask questions about corporate culture. “What’s it like to work here? What are the values?” This signals a desire to fit in and contribute.
  • DO stress the benefits of hiring you for the company, rather than going through the features of your own resumé. Employers want you to show them the forest, not the trees.
  • DON'T slam your recent employer. Even if you can’t stand your job, find positive things to say: what you’ve learned, how you’ve grown.
  • DO tell the truth if you were fired from your last job. The correct wording: “I was fired.” Be as straightforward as possible when explaining why, what you did right and wrong, and what you learned.
  • DON'T flatter the interviewer. It makes it seem as though that’s all you have to offer.
  • DO try to get the interviewer to talk about her own dreams and aspirations. “What do you like about working here?” You’re looking to have a real dialogue, not a Q & A.
  • DON'T blame other people for the state of your career. You’ll come across as a person who doesn’t take responsibility for her own life.
  • DO be prepared to give a detailed answer to the question “Why do you want to work here?” Something vague like “It’s a great company” just doesn’t cut it.
  • DON'T ask questions that could have been answered by looking at the company’s website. At the very least, Google it.

Adapted from Persuasion: A New Approach to Changing Minds.

Tags: advice, arlene dickinson, business advice, career change, interview, interviews, jobs, leadership advice

Comments
Jesse Yardley
September 19, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Excellent suggestions! I was recently interviewed by a company seeking a copy writer. The interviewer asked me to provide a sample of my writing on spec. I did so within 24hrs. However, I've been unable to reconnect with the interviewer after repeated attempts. Should I just forget about it an move on? Any tips for post-interview follow-ups?
Jesse Yardley
September 20, 2016 at 12:05 am
*and

(is there no way to edit a comment?)
Marayna Dickinson
September 20, 2016 at 10:21 am
Hey Jesse,

That's a great question. Could you submit using our Ask An Expert tool as I think this would be helpful to other members, as well?

Ask a quick response, I have found that if your interviewer isn't get back to you after repeated attempts, it's time to move on. Personally, when I've interviewed people I have always been open to give them feedback afterward, even if they weren't hired. It's constructive and helps them with future interviews - something I think we all owe each other.
Jesse Yardley
September 20, 2016 at 8:22 pm
Thanks Marayna. Good suggestions.

Yeah, I think you're right that it's time to move on. I have it from other sources that this company is known for going silent after interviewing candidates. Possibly, a lack of communication is a signal the interviewer is either too busy to get back to all interviewees, or just can't be bothered. Benefit of the doubt, it's the former.

Deanna White
September 24, 2016 at 9:32 am
Don't exaggerate about your credentials or accomplishments. Everybody does it - but just don't go overboard. Hiring managers can see right through that.
Deanna White