Find Time To Exercise When You're Working From Home

Find Time To Exercise When You're Working From Home

Lifestyle | Posted by YouInc.com - March 7, 2016 at 12:30 am
1197

Finding time to exercise can be difficult for a busy person. There is always something more urgent and at the end of a hectic day, the last thing that you want to do is sit-ups and jumping jacks. However, exercise is important to your health, so it is important that you make time for it. Here are some ways that you can squeeze exercise into your day when you’re working from home:

Take a lunch break.

Do you take an official lunch break when you work from home or do you just munch on something while plugging away at your computer? Since you can eat while working, use your scheduled lunch break to get some exercise: Go to the gym, do yoga, join a lunch time basketball league, or go for a swim. Find something that gets your heart beating and your feet moving.

Take a walk while you’re handling phone calls.

Some of your business calls can easily be done while taking a brisk walk. You can even use a Bluetooth so that your hands will be free. You may find that you’re naturally more relaxed when you’re talking on the phone outside because you’re not staring at your to-do list or your email inbox.

Do your reading on a stationary bike.

Another way to multitask while exercising is to get some reading done while you’re riding a stationary bike. You can read emails, reports, or keep on top of industry trends. As long as your feet are pedaling, you’re getting your exercise.

Get out and network.

When you’re working from home there can be a temptation to slip into hibernation mode. Break that habit. Force yourself to get out of the house at least once a day to network. Schedule a lunch with one of your networking contacts and instead of taking your car, walk to the restaurant. Your business will never grow if you don’t nurture your network, and it’s also a great motivation to get yourself off the couch.

You know that exercise is important but when we’re busy, it’s often the first thing to be bumped from our schedule. The key is to fit it into your day in a way that doesn’t conflict with anything else. Once you make it a habit, it becomes easier. Just stick with it.

* * *

Got a great routine for working out at home as a busy entrepreneur? Share your story here.

Tags: exercise, lunch break, multitask, schedule, stationary bike, health, network, networking, productivity, working from home

Maria Locker

Mompreneur® Showcase Group Inc. is the trusted national network that supports, educates, and empowers moms in business across Canada. Company highlights include over 14,000 members and subscribers within their online community, presentation of the "Mompreneur® Award of Excellence", and the annual National Mompreneurs® Conference. Maria Locker, Founder & CEO.

Comments
Steve Roberts
January 14, 2014 at 3:30 pm
Good tips, but I'm not sure about eating lunch at the computer. It may be good to stop for a few minutes and try mindfulness once in a while, maybe by eating away from the computer: http://www.spring.org.uk/2014/01/mindfulness-6-steps-to-better-memory-verbal-reasoning-and-improved-concentration.php

(I'm a 53-year-old part-time Psych major, self-employed and working from home. I get more done when I focus on one task at a time.)
darci que
January 17, 2014 at 6:47 pm
i do a home workout every morning and meditate in the afternoon.i'm alone a lot so both activities keep me grounded and not so lonely!
Kristine Srigley
January 17, 2014 at 7:17 pm
I get my kids on the bus and high tail it to a gym 2 minutes from my house...a benefit of working for myself from home. If I don't workout first thing in the morning, 1. it won't happen 2. I'm not as productive 3. I get grumpy.
Douglas Tufts
January 17, 2014 at 8:40 pm
When I need a break from work twenty minutes on my stationary bike all I need to get me back on track.
Dave Buzanko
January 18, 2014 at 11:13 am
I'm a huge proponent of heart rate training and although something is better than nothing, 30 - 60 minutes of targeted heart rate training is more effective than saying "as long as your feet are pedaling, you're getting your exercise." As an entrepreneur, I am very goal oriented and want to be as efficient with my time as I can be, therefore knowing what your goal is for each workout session and maintaining the right heart rate to reach your goal is a far better use of your time.
Sharon Lemay
January 19, 2014 at 5:11 pm
I like to put on the radio and dance for 10 or 15 mi.or walk up and down the stairs. Go for a walk out side.Everything count's just do something.I also like to meditate.
Anonymous
January 20, 2014 at 7:07 am
Most of these suggestions are not useful unless you live in a large urban area. I work from home and the closest gym is a 40 min drive. Taking calls on a walk would be fine if we had cell phone coverage, I really don't feel like walking circles around my house on my cordless phone, but I guess that would be a possibility. I could purchase a stationary bike so that is one that would work. Getting out to network is also not really an option, again restaurants are 40mins away.
It would be interesting to hear what others who are more remote are doing.
Jerry Lamontagne
January 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Jerry Lamontagne
Dear "rural" entrepreneur. I totally understand your dilemma. I was in a small town for 33 years, 60 miles from a major city [London] and found really difficult to participate in any type of networking. The drive was 1 hour, each way, in the summer. Fortunately my business - promotional advertising - is online and did not really need a great deal of networking, so I thought. A move back to the city, to a 1600 sq ft apt, has made a lot of difference - duh. My wife and I have decided to buy a cottage for getaways and spend the bulk of our time where the action is. It was a tough call but a necessary one. We truly loved the rural lifestyle. I'm sure if we had a unique business, then the rural life would have worked fine but being in a very competitive business - not so much. Oh, and by the way, we have a fully equipped gym in our building along with a saltwater pool, whirlpool, dry sauna and it's all included in the rent ;-)

As far as being focused, or better yet, disciplined, in a home office scenario is absolutely critical. Otherwise - it's a hobby.
Featured Members
Daniel Marabotto
Delicious Kicks Salsas
Randy A Eckert
Saferway Driver Training School…
See All   ► Recent Activity Recent Activity