There are a few things that are associated with being an entrepreneur: coffee, late nights, sleep deprivation, prolonged sitting and often times unhealthy food.
This isn't because entrepreneurs possess a characteristic of being unhealthy; rather it is due to the fact that entrepreneurs are wired with so much excitement and passion for their business that they often sacrifice their health for their business.
Does this sound like you? Let's deep dive and have a better look.
As a new business you probably have a limited amount of resources so you end up doing a lot of the work yourself. Most of the time you are working 14-hour days, which usually includes late nights. Coffee is your best friend, which is probably the only way you can manage to stay up and think straight to get work done.
Next thing you know, you are in bed at 3 am still tossing and turning; the caffeine in your blood stream is keeping you awake even though you are exhausted. Your alarm goes off at 7 am and you have to be alert and functional for an 8 am meeting.
You are often rushed so you skip breakfast, lunch is typically a quick sandwich and dinner is usually eaten at your desk in front of your computer.
How is it possible that as an entrepreneur you keep going like this for a long time?
It is simple. Your love and passion fuels your business. This is completely understood and justified.
However this lifestyle can also be taxing on your body and let's face it, if you are not healthy then who will drive your business forward?
With that being said, as an entrepreneur it is important to stay in good health so that you have a healthy business.
Here are 5 healthy tips for the busy entrepreneur lifestyle:
1. Green Tea: While coffee is commonly known as an energy booster, in excess, it can be damaging to your body. Go ahead, have your morning coffee however substitute your second or third coffee for a green tea, which contains antioxidants and other health benefits.
2. Go to Bed Early: It is better if you can sleep from 11 pm - 5 am rather than 3 am – 9 am simply because your body follows the circadian rhythm, which means you function optimally with the movement of the sun. If you miss this window of opportunity then you will also miss out on this recovery period for your body to repair.
3. Stairs: No time to do a full workout? That is okay, pick a set of stairs and climb them several times a day. Perhaps you can allocate three 10-minute intervals where you climb the stairs to get some blood moving. That meets the daily minimum criteria of being active for 30 minutes a day.
4. Blend: No time for breakfast or a healthy lunch? Throw in some fruits and veggies in a blender along with a scoop of protein powder and drink your breakfast. It is a quick way to take in some vitamins without sacrificing time.
5. Posture: Prolonged sitting will cause you to slouch simply because your back muscles are entirely relaxed. Here is a quick exercise that you can do at your desk. Sit up straight and pull your shoulder blades together and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat this 5 times a day. This will activate your back muscles and make them stronger.
Having love for business is an incredible feeling and it is important that as an entrepreneur you do everything in your power to push it forward. That includes maintaining your best asset in the best health. And that asset is you.
By Vesna Dodevska
Vesna Dodevska is an entrepreneur and fitness trainer from Toronto. Working as an in-home personal trainer Vesna decided to expand her business by taking her step-by-step 9-week workout series onto an online platform. Her newest product provides a video weight loss solution on her website FitMissy.com. As a business owner who works with clients both offline and online, Vesna promotes the benefits of maintaining a healthy lifestyle while running a successful business.