You don't need to have a green business to be eco-friendly in your practices. Being green is not only healthy for your budget but let's face it-people like businesses that care about the environment and it makes them feel good about their decision to do business with you.
Aim to be Practically Paperless
- Organize your email and desktop to include folders where you can filter and store documents rather than printing them.
- Use your smartphone to take photos of business cards, flyers, and other documents. Store those nicely organized folders that you made.
- Include a line in your email signature encouraging others to, "Consider the environment before printing this email".
Reuse, Reuse, Reuse
- Keep all viable boxes, envelopes, and other packing materials you receive to use for shipping.
- Extend the life of file folders, magazine holders and other paper products by using labels.
- Stock your office space with reusable mugs, dishes, real cutlery, and napkins.
Do it Digitally
- Send all your invoices, contracts and correspondence digitally and use software that enables you to accept electronic signatures.
- Sign up for online inventory and accounting services.
- Consider Paypal for sending invoices, accepting credit cards, and to get paid instantly.
Green Your Space
- Place a recycling container under your desk so that recycling becomes automatic and easy to do
- Improve the air quality in your work space by having a few green plants and ventilating it regularly
- Plug all your electronics into a power bar. Turn this off when not in use and unplug it at the end of the day.
Skip the Commute
- Working from home keeps cars off the road and less pollution in the air.
- Consider offering price incentives to clients for email, phone, and Skype consultations
- Set a specific day in your schedule for meeting clients outside of your office. Choose one place to meet and have them come to you there.
Finally…Be Transparent. List the environmental practices that you follow in your business on your website. If you don't tell your customers you are green they won't know.
Sara Vartanian is the Online Editorial Manager for Mompreneur Showcase Group Inc. She is an eco-savvy entrepreneur at changeMatt educating moms to take baby steps to lead green lives, connector of mompreneurs in Toronto, and a mama to two gorgeous little boys.
Mompreneur® Showcase Group Inc.
Mompreneur® Showcase Group Inc. (www.TheMOMpreneur.com) is the trusted national network that supports, educates, and empowers moms in business across Canada. With close to 20 satellite locations in Ontario, supportive networking groups are now expanding to other provinces in order to connect business women everywhere from East to West of the country. Company highlights include over 10,000 members, presentation of the "Mompreneur® Award of Excellence", and the re-launch of MOMpreneur® Magazine. Contact Head Office for further information on licensing or becoming a member:
Founder & CEO, Mompreneur Showcase Group Inc