Happy Small Business Week, Canada!
I am so proud to be a part of Canada’s successful entrepreneurial scene, especially when I look at the following numbers.
- 98.2% of businesses in Canada have less than 100 employees. That’s over 1.1 Million businesses!
- Small and medium businesses in Canada contribute more than half of this country’s gross domestic product.
- 86% of exporting companies in Canada have less than 100 employees.
- 43,200 Canadians became self employed and hired employees in 2011 alone.
Every time we purchase from a small business it has a profound effect on our family, friends and neighbours by:
- Maintaining and creating employment.
- Supporting national and local economies.
- Reducing transport pollution (especially if the small business is also local).
Please support Canadian small businesses and encourage others to do the same (including government). Shop small and the money you spend will come back to you many times over.
Tell us about your small business in the comments below! I'm eager to start my Christmas shopping, right here at home.
Entrepreneur Melody McKinnon holds over 50 certifications in business, marketing, writing, nutrition, biochemistry & general sciences. She provides digital content, marketing & communications services for CanadiansInternet.com Business, AllNaturalPetCare.com and Healing Minerals. Melody also blogs about marketing and consumer relations for Petfood Industry Magazine, and she is the Community Manager for the American Livebearer Association. (More about Melody)